From: "Hugh & Therese" <hugtrees@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Brake booster & duct tape

Bill,

Short of getting a new booster concertina from Karpps in California, there
is another, better and safer, way to get your brakes working again.  I used
it for years and it never let me down.  What you do is get a large truck
inner tube and cut out a section just a little longer than the booster.  The
hard part is "fitting" it.  Two long, thin, screwdrivers at each end of the
booster help but anyway you face it, it is hard work.  You have to slide the
inner tube section over the entire unit.  It will conform to each valley as
you proceed.  The two screwdrivers will ameliorate this tendency somewhat.

Once on, the inner tube conforms to the shape of the booster.  Vacuum is
restored.  The break in the original unit actually helps a little, as the
inner tube will be pulled into the crack.

I found that having the booster in place on the fire wall helped with the
installation of the inner tube.

I hate to think that you are trying to create vacuum with duct tape.  It
won't work.  The ridge, where the break is, is being simultaneously pulled
in by the vacuum and pushed out by the contraction of the unit.  Factor in
heat and the duct tape will be off after the first compression.

I don't know why you are experiencing a better running engine.  The vacuum
is held in the tank, not the booster unit.  Maybe you have a defective
release valve in the unit as well.  If you bypass the unit and the tank by
routing the inlet valve hose to the return pipe on the engine, if you
experience a smoother idle, you may need a total rebuild of your entire unit
and not just the rubber exterior.

Karpps will take care of the whole unit for you when you are ready.  Find
the at:

www.resleeve.com

Hugh