headlights not lighting

I've been gone all day today, and I see you've already gotten plenty of good
advice from others.  For what it's worth, my advice is to turn on the
headlight switch, then pump the dimmer button until you are blue in the face
and your foot is getting tired.  I'm betting the lights will come back on
and function properly - just watch the wall in front of the car an you'll
see them struggle to come back to life.

There is no fuse in the headlight circuit, but there is a thermal overload
circuit breaker that is built into the headlight switch, and these are
famous for getting weak in their old age, and if you have converted your
headlights to halogen bulbs, you've helped it along the road to failure.
If the dimmer switch isn't the answer, you can bypass the original circuit
breaker fairly easily, but you have to remove the headlight switch to get at
it to bypass it.  Then you can add a replacement circuit breaker inline with
the power feed to the headlight switch to restore the original safety of the
design.

If the dimmer switch exercise brings it back to life, then you need to
remove that switch from the floorboard (it's easy!), take it apart, and
clean the bejabbers out of the contacts to get all the 37 year accumulation
of crud, congealed grease etc. off the contacts.  It is a simple device,
easy to take apart and put back together.  Put it back together and it will
be good for another 37 years, or you can sue me (I'll be 107, and probably
won't have any money left!).

Dick Benjamin