67 windshield trim

In a message dated 12/6/2003 9:51:41 AM Pacific Standard Time, imperialman@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Is there a trick to removing the stainless windshield trim that is on a 67?
Clay,
That stuff is nearly impossible to remove without mangling it! One of the problems is that the excess sealer used around the gasket also helps to stick the molding to the body in addition to the now corroded metal clips. How you approach the process is best determined by exactly what you need to do. If the windshield is actually damaged and needs replacement, I would suggest that you tape a plastic dropcloth or a bedsheet around the inside of the windshield opening and smash the glass! That way you can pull the gasket out and the trim will remove without damage to it or the gasket. You will then spend about six hours removing the glass fragments from the gasket, but that's easier than standing next to the car cussing! If you don't like that idea, and you are going to repaint, then I suggest that you use a sponge brush to dab lacquer thinner into the joint between the body and the trim to soften up the excess gasket goop that is sticking the molding to the body. Finally, you can look for a glass shop that the muscle car guys go to do the work and hope for the best.

Roy
67 Crown FDHT