The Alphabet Soup of Designations

Okay.  Let me dive in here and clear/confuse this up.

As far as I know, Chrysler did not refer to their cars in terms of "A
body," "B body, etc."  These terms were the invention of enthusiasts
who came later.  (??? - Big Question Mark?)

What the "Y" refers to in the FSM is the CARLINE.  "Carline," not
"body."  A subtle distinction, but real.  "Carline" is an industry
term, body is not-- unless you mean "body type," as in "2 dr. hardtop."

I think Chris Hoffman could probably explain the breakdown better than
I as to what precisely "carline" means.

But-- if you go to a show (at least this is true of all the ones I've
been to)(all two)-- an Imperial is classified as a "C body," like it or
not.

But again, the "C" in "C body" stands for "Chrysler" -- meaning the
carline.  They didn't use "I" for "Imperial" presumably because an "I"
can be confused with a "1."

There.  I'm sure no one has any more questions at this point.  :)

MM