60 Imperial Fuel Pump

John;
 Here is one way to test your fuel pump, remove it from the engine, put a moistened finger over the inlet side and rock the arm up and down. If it is working right you should feel some suction on your finger, if it isn't working there will be no suction and the diaphragm is likely shot. If it isn't shot you may have a caburettor problem.
 Before you go running off to Berbaum try looking up the pump elsewhere but look it up as either a 413 or 383 part.
On top of that try to cross reference the part number with a suitable interchange through a Hollander manual. Also see if you can order a rebuild kit for it through your local parts stores. Like with the carb on my engine if you can't buy the whole unit you may be able to find a rebuild kit. Believe it or not they are not that complicated internally and rebuild kits usually come with detailed instructions.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Tailight Bezel and other trim parts.

As some of you may recall, I've been having a problem with my 60 staying running once I let my foot off the gas pedal.
     Some suggested the fuel pump & others suggested carb issues. I decided to start with a new fuel pump & looked up the Carter number on the Parts America/Checker website & went to my local store to order one. A couple days later, they called me back & told me that they have been discontinued. I then decided to try NAPA & they said the same thing. I have never had any problems finding mechanical parts & was pretty surprised by this. I guess I'll give Andy Bernbaum a call & see if he has any. I think I may have one of the original style pumps in my car & will get that rebuilt for future use if I can find someone that rebuilds them.
John