Quality of the 1957 Imperial

The problem was in the fender design.  Water and mud would collect in the
area above the headlights and would rust the fender out.  This problem was
not just Chrysler related and it affected virtually all cars built during
that era.  1957-58 Fords and Meteors were also noted for this problem.

In 1953 and 1954 Frenched headlight rims became the rage - the rims extended
out beyond the headlight, giving them a sunken look.   The theme then
developed into the fenders, so that the fenders tops protruded out beyond
the headlights.    Those extensions provided nice shelves inside the fender
for mud and water to collect.

I have seen a 1961 Valiant with its headlights fallen back into the
wheelwells, shining up into the underside of the front fender.  And my first
1964 Studebaker had holes in the fenders above the headlamps that caused
dirty road water to be swept back up onto the windshield.

So the problem was not just something that Imperial had to deal with.  And
it was not as serious and wide-spread as you have been lead to believe.
Headlights falling out of the fenders were the exception, not the rule.
Holey fenders, yes, but not falling headlights.  And it took a number of
years to develop.   The problem on the 1957 Imperial, for example, may have
become wide spread enough to affect the design / engineering of the 1960
models, perhaps, but I doubt 1958.

Bill
Vancouver, BC