Quality of the 1957 Imperial

Title:
Door handle mechanism fell apart, we had to take the doors apart and reassemble (I also remember we did some redesign as the pull handle mechanism was poorly designed).
The system was redesigned and beefed during the '57 model year: the early had a thin adjustable linkage between door handle and lock which was (i think and you confirm..) prone to break  Late '57 (after 13241 serial) had a redesigned linkage which was twice the width of the early . On my car (early model) i replace the locks with some of late models.
If the linkage breaks you can't open the door from outside !
The side windows were curved and never lined up properly front to back
Yes ! It's nearly impossible to have a good fit - at top AND at side. If it's ok when the window is 1/2 open, the window will not properly fit when close (and vice-versa..)
The air conditioning condenser, I believe, was right in front of the radiator and over heating was a regular occurrence in South Florida's 90 degree summers.
Yes it is in front of radiator but i haven't noted, during last (very hot) french summer (t° over 100°F), engine overheating, even with A/C on (but it was rarely "on" because the top was off !). The temp needle never went beyond 1/2.  And my car runs cooler than my previous '58 Bu*ck !!
--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad