Dirty 58 HEMI

I just acquired my first 58 Imperial (with the claim of 44k orig. miles).  I
had to clean some plugs to get it running and couldn't help notice the oily
sludge sitting in the sparkplug recess'.  Is there a recommended practice
for cleaning or flushing and old engine that may not ever seen detergent
oil?
Also,  I was told when I bought it that it was a Crown but looking at
several pictures and brochures, I'm not sure.  Is there a definitive way to
tell?