Larry's 1960 and what to do with a newly aquired Imp.

This is good advice Kenyon! I just purchase a '57 Chrysler Saratoga which has the same brake system as the Imperials, and the brakes are shot. The pedal goes right to the floor. I'm planning on replacing the entire brake system. What makes the power brake diaphragm vibrated like crazy when the brake pedal is depress?
-----Original Message-----
From: Kenyon Wills [mailto:imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 2:09 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Larry's 1960 and what to do with a newly aquired Imp.

If you plan to drive your car anywhere besides the driveway, please replace the WHOLE brake system all at once.  In one shot.  I did the entire system on my 1960 and wanted to be dead certain that I would not be piece-mealing the system as parts failed part by part.  You are betting your life on the parts that are on the car.  Want 40 year old stuff or new stuff?  Don't nickel and dime on the brakes!!!

Your car has a single master cylinder.  If it or any one of the 12 wheel cylinder seals or three flex hoses quit, you just lost your entire brake system.  Imperials coast quite nicely due to the laws of physics.

I replaced my MC with a dual unit, totally new lines and hoses.  I absolutely know that I will not be dealing with anything worse than a possible need to bleed them once I start using them.

Get new:

Suggested:

Other items that should be replaced semi automatically when you come into an Imperial that's new to you:
See my 1960 Epic (in my email signature) for pictures and details on installing a dual MC and new brake components into a 1960 (57-66?) 4-drum car.

Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

Do you Yahoo!?