69 Imperial Carb Replacement

Hi folks, I'm about to replace the carb on my 69 with a Carter 9636 & am wondering how anyone that has already done this overcame the problem of having a 5/16 fuel line & a 3/8 fitting on the carb? The instructions say you need to use a hose & not to try to remove the carb fitting to connect the existing metal fuel line, but offers no real advice on how to accomplish this. My first thought was just to use the 3/8 hose & tighten the clamp a little tighter at the fuel pump, but am having 2nd thoughts on that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
John