Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Parts Cars

First Penny,

The last parts car I bought was a 1968 Imperial Crown 4-door hardtop.  This was a running car, but the body left much to be desired, with rust appearing in the usual places plus under the vinyl top, the chrome was also pitted.  The car had some front end damage, a bent bumper & grill, but no damage of a mechanical nature.  I paid $500.00 for this car and think that was the best $500.00 I ever spent.   This car was one of the best equipped Crowns that I am aware of, it had the usual Imperial standard equippment, plus power vents, tilt wheel, stereo radio, front & rear air, split 6-way front seat, light sentinal, cruise, etc, etc. etc.  In addition, the car had four new whitewall tires, plus a perfect rechromed rear bumper in the trunk.  The car also had a custom made dash pad, plus the seat covers and carpets had been replaced, but not with the original type material.  It was my opinion that this car was only good for parts, as it would have cost a tremendous amount to either refurbish or restore, much more than an almost perfect 68 4-door Crown would have cost.

Now, what have I used from this car?  I doubt if I can remember all the parts, but here goes;  the 4 new tires, the rechromed rear bumper, the gas tank, the rear brake drums, some side trim, the rear trunk lid, various interior pieces, dash pad, window motors, windshield, the carburetor, radiator, front calipers and rotors, distributor, harmonic balancer, power steering hose, alternator, power brake booster tank, etc, etc, etc.   I am sure that some of you have a good idea of what some of these parts would have cost if I had bought them from either a parts store or dealer, thousands!  With this car, I was able to eliminate the searching for parts, shipping costs, long distance phone bills,  the saving of time and untold dollars, plus many valuable parts are left for future use.

Though some people might criticize me for destroying a running Imperial, this car now continues on as a part of two beautiful 1968 Crowns, a 4-door hardtop and a Crown Coupe with the MDO.  I realize that not everyone has the means or location for a parts car, but if you can, get one before they go to the crusher and are of no use to anyone.

Bill/Imp, just a few 68's