Bad news for my '59

did not go through, sending again

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: Bad news for my '59

You wrote:
Today I received the bad news from my mechanic that my '59 Imperial has very poor combustion from two cylinders now, and a leak in the brake booster, which would account for its lack of power lately, and poor braking.

Bill '59 Crown

Here is my reply:

Bill,

You have had a good number of replies, all with excellent advice.  I think the problem can be looked at a little more simply.  A key question is how much of the needed work can you do yourself.  With these old cars many shops give out huge prices for repairs because many consider old relics to be more than a bit of a nuisance.  Their so called mechanics are barely familiar with modern cars.  They rely totally on computers for diagnostics and replacing parts.  Your car will take up a lot of space, time and effort.  The more of the work you can do yourself the better.  $5,000.00 is a lot of money.  If you are on a tight budget be sure to avoid all the 'might as wells' that Kenyon mentioned in his post.  Stick strictly to what ails you.  This runs counter to what many a more wealthy person will advise.  Only you know about your financial situation.  Getting a whole bunch of other stuff replaced is all well and good but if that stuff is still working, I say leave it alone.

You actually have two problems, and one is more serious than the other,  You have an engine with poor performance and you have brakes with poor performance.  Attend to the brakes first.  All the parts are available, of you know where to look.  Replacing the two main hoses to the booster is relatively simple.  You can get the booster rebuilt at Karps, in California.  Here is a link to their web site.

You can either send them the whole unit and they will fit the bellows unit for you or you can do it yourself.  I did it myself.  The part cost around $250.  They offer the whole package for around $500.  The unit is held on by eight nuts, if I recall.  You will have to remove the master cylinder as this is attached to the vehicle on the booster unit's bracket.  This is quite tricky but not that complicated.  Its an access issue, really.  I think I'd recommend getting Karps to do the rebuild and only did it myself because it was faster and cheaper.  The booster is not a simple unit.  I'd rebuilt some previously, before Karp's made the outer rubber available and I had no choice.

There is a way to seal up the unit itself but it very much field engineering and doesn't look pretty.  It is, however, effective and I only replaced my "fix" with a new unit when I had the rest of the brakes apart for a different reason.  It is a simple but hardly elegant "repair."  Get a large truck tire inner tube and cut out a section a couple of inches longer than the unit itself.  With no further ado, attempt to slide the tube section over the bellows unit.  You will have to remove the hoses first.  The first time I did this while the unit was on a table but it is easier with it still in place on the car.  It is enormously hard work.  Imagine putting a too small condom on a reluctant elephant.  However, the results are surprising.  The inner tube will conform to the ridges of the bellows unit and seal up the hole or, more likely, slit,  on your unit.  These units usually give out, not at the bottom of a ridge, but at the top.  The forces of vacuum and compression make this spot the weakest as it is here that the unit is being both pulled in by the vacuum and pushed out as a mechanical result of being contracted.  This is a $5.00 solution that is effective.  Vacuum is restored to the unit, which is the point of the exercise.  I found using two thin, long screwdrivers at either end of the unit made the fitting process much easier, as it helped to avoid the inner tube become bogged down on each and every ridge.

If you do decide to store the car for a while you may find you need to move it every once in a while.  It will be a lot easier if you can do this using the car's own power.  You may also be able to take the car out for short trips around town to cheer yourself up once in a while, not to mention keeping the car in good shape, you know, tires, etc, etc. Once the brakes are fixed you can then trouble shoot the engine.  It may not be as bad as you think once the vacuum leak is resolved.

An engine job is more intimidating but being in a situation like yours I decided to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.  I took the engine apart myself.  I could not find a single shop that would take it on.  Not one.  At any price.  I would still be voted the guy most unlikely to be able to tear down and rebuild an engine but I did it anyway.  On the 392 I had to remove just about everything in sight to get to the left cylinder head.  I only had problems on the right hand side but everyone told me I would have to do both sides to maintain balance, which is to say I'd have new parts on the right and old stuff on the left.  I hated doing it but decided I'd better do it anyway.  Take lots of notes and too many photographs.  I don't think an inexperienced mechanic can take too many photographs.  You never know what you are going to have trouble with as you reassemble everything.  Put parts in bags and label them.  Number the bolts holding down the heads carefully as you may find they come in different lengths depending what else they go through.

My ultimate point is that, including a new head, a rebuild kit and one mechanic to rebuild the heads, I spent less than $1,000 rebuilding the top end of my engine.  It took a lot longer than it should have because of some "might-as-well" projects that were desirable but not strictly related to the original problem.  I bogged down badly on the carburetor, but that's a whole story in and of itself.  I am, of course, still using the original carburetor, rebuilt, even though I was told, again by "professionals" that it couldn't be done, and ended up with a spare one if it ever does fail, since it wasn't really even broken to begin with.

I know little about the 413 engine.  I just hope you can get better access to it than you can the 392 which is not called the whale for nothing.  If you have poor compression it will be from three places.  If your cylinder rings or walls are shot it should be easy to tell as your engine will be smoking like a bandit.  There is no easy solution to this.  Just hope that is the rings.  Either way, it is quite a task for an amateur.  You may only have a shot head gasket.  This ain't so bad.  Even I can replace one of those.  Likewise a cracked head, which is what I had.  I got a new head and then took both the old and the new to a local shop that swapped out the old mechanicals in them, the valve guides and seats. etc, with new parts I purchased from Hot Head Hemis.  Parts for the 413 should be in even greater supply.

Doing it yourself is not fun or easy but it saves you a ton of money and the headache of dealing with shops that are reluctant to do the job in the first place.  You get a wonderful sense of accomplishment.  In my case, I even managed to impress my wife, not an easy task, who was as sure as sure can be that I was completely in over my head.  She was right but hard headed determination actually won the day, for once.

If there is a local Mopar club in your area, they may be able to advise you on a good mechanic.  You may also find that someone is willing to help you and supervise the project.  I now need to get the lower part of my engine done now as it needs a ring job.  There is a member who is willing to help me with it but he knows nothing about Imperials.  I will end up doing the lion's share of the work again but I am, gulp, dare I say it, kind of sort of looking forward to it, in a weird kind of way that I will desperately regret having admitted, even to myself.

Good luck.

Hugh