Bad news for my '59

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 12:04 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Bad news for my '59

When you say "rebuild the engine" you should be thinking big picture.  The engine block and internals may be done for $2500 plus or minus $500 depending on what you can get the new pistons and work done for.

When I think "rebuild the engine", I think:

Recore radiator
Rebuild Carb
Rebuild Generator
Rebuild/replace distributor

New:
Coil
Plugs/Cap/Rotor/Wires
Water Pump
Power Steering Pump
Battery
Cables
Water hoses - heater & radiator
Power steering hoses

Repaint (at least - maybe redo?) air conditioning compressor

How's your transmission?  Add $1000 for that while you're all apart if it's as old as the carpet in the car.  I am superstitious and feel that things tend to wear together.  A shiny new engine that's stronger could put more stress on the trans and make it pop sooner or later and then you're faced with another big messy repair.  Additional labor to get the trans out with the block should be negligible and possibly more convenient.
============
The reason that I mention all of these parts is that you will have it all apart now.  Get in and finish everything off now.  Otherwise you'll have misc. parts failing regularly and frustrating the heck out of you over time.  If you redo everything, the car can be driven with confidence and you'll KNOW that the mechanicals are done once and for all.  I'd be inclined to redo the propellor shaft, rear axle seals/lubricant and brakes at the same time, and you'd be pretty much done.  Easier said than done, but done none-the-less.

I know that it's expensive, and maybe you have more time than money and are willing to replace things part by part, but you will probably save some serious greif and maybe avoid a spell sitting on the side of the road with a failed whatever.

I feel your pain.

-Kenyon

Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx wrote:
Today I received the bad news from my mechanic that my '59 Imperial has very poor combustion from two cylinders now, and a leak in the brake booster, which would account for its lack of power lately, and poor braking. Now I am faced with the decision to either rebuild the engine, and brake booster, which will cost anywhere in the area of $5,000.00 for the engine alone, or store the car for a while until I have some time to shop around, and accumulate the funds for this undertaking. I am going towards storing the car, since it is becoming difficult to keep driving, having to put it in neutral at each stop light so the engine does not die out. My question is does 5 grand sound like a lot to rebuild an engine, and that is most likely the minimum with this mechanic?

Bill '59 Crown

Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

Do you Yahoo!?