PISTON COMPRESSION TOOL FOR BUDD BRAKES

Hello list,
   I'm removing and checking/rebuilding my Budd brake
4 piston calipers.  The service manual shows extenive
use of a piston compression tool.  Should a generic
Snapon tool do the same thing?  Does something bad
happen if you disassemble the caliper without
compressing the pistons?  I've skimmed the brake
section, but didn't notice anything about this. (maybe
I missed it?).  Finally, when the brake pedal
gradually sinks to the floor at a stop light, should I
be looking at the master cylinder?  Gratefully
accepting feedback.

thanks
Bruce S
57 4 door for sale