"by Chrysler"

--- Mark McDonald <tomswift@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would second that.  I'm pretty sure it's '71.  The
> real expert would
> be Elijah Scott, but he's being silent on this topic

Well . . . it's really minor trivia, but here's the
scoop:

On '71-'73 Imperials, the word "IMPERIAL" appears on
the right (passenger side) lower corner of the trunk
lid.  The badge is about 3.5 inches wide and about .75
inches high.

Just below the "IMPERIAL" badge appears an even
smaller "by Chrysler" emblem.  This badge is maybe 2
inches wide by .5 inch high.  This "by Chrysler" badge
was indeed introduced on the '71 Imperial.

But here's the fun part . . . the "by Chrysler" badge
was not used on ALL Imperials.  I have seen original
'72 and '73 Imperials that did NOT have this badge,
and there was no "outline" of a missing badge, so it
was clear that it was not put on at the factory.  But
many '72 and '73 Imperials DO have this badge as well,
so it seems to have been sporadic in its usage.

And for an added twist, there are two styles of each
badge -- one type of badge has two studs on the back
that go through the decklid sheetmetal and are
attached on the back with speednuts.  The second style
comes with an adhesive strip that is stamped to match
the shape of the badge.  I have one '71 Imperial that
has the badges with the studs/speednuts, and two more
'71 Imperials that have the badges with the adhesive.

So there's four paragraphs to explain these two minor
details!  ;o)  "Badges?  We don't need no stinkin'
badges!!!"

Happy Motoring,

Elijah

=====
-- "My samoyed is smarter than your honor student."