wireing

I'm pretty sure that the wire gauges were
internationally standardized in the 40's or 50's....

But to be on the same said, you can take a piece of
the old wire, remove the insolation, and buy a wire
gauge meter- basically it looks like a metal circule
with holes on the sides- whichever hole matches the
diameter of your wire will tell you what gauge it
is....

BTW- it's helpful to replace wiring with wires of the
same color insolation (makes things easier down the
road if you have to do something again). So it can be
helpful to get a nice assortment of commonly used wire
colors. You can also always (excluding audio work and
coil work) go with higher ampage rating wire then what
was OEM....

I like to have a spoll of red, black, green, white,
blue, brown, tan, and a few other colors for a few
different gauges at all times. If you need wires with
color tracers (like a blue wire with a red strip down
the side), a good source may be old cloth covered wire
for antique radio/TV/telephone collectors. Don't let
the cloth fool you- I've found that it insolates
BETTER then rubber and plastic because it doesn't melt
or crack up over time!

Hope that helps.
--- Tracy Sherratt <dave-tracy.sherratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>