Jim's digital dash progress

Well, I know this may have changed from year to year,
but I believe the 1988 and possibly 1989 digital AC/AY
clusters had LED's which would light up (gauges were
bars).

My 1992/1993 cluster is a bit more complex. Basically
you have 3 main parts of each display- a color LCD,
some LED's, and a clear but painted piece of plastic.

The piece of plastic has the scale of each gauge face
painted on in green (minus the numeric values).
Depending on the gauge, there are a couple LED's in
the display, and a color LCD shows the "needle" for
these sweep-digital gauges. A pilot lamp rests behind
each LCD- and these lamps make the "needle" and green
"scaler" brighten up some.

At night, these lamps turn off and 4 small lamps at
the top of the PCB shine down on the back of the
cluster, thus giving a minor amount of light.

Confusing as this is far more complex then just about
any digital cluster I've come across.

BTW- the trip & metric conversion computer is an
external unit which rests somewhere behind the dash
according to my 1990 FSM. Since I fabricated my dash's
electronics a tad to get my cluster in, I don't have
this computer or the digital dash-friendly BCU.

I suspect that my fuel gauge isn't working right
because of either a lose connection, or because of a
varriation between the mechanical cluster BCU and
electronical cluster BCU.... I will try looking over
connections and if that does not fix the problem, I
will cut out my OEM mechanical fuel guage from the OEM
cluster and stick it in the back of my hood scoop- or
make my own fuel gauge using LED's which I could place
along the top lip of my dash trim...

Now I do know the clusters changed a bit from year to
year, so all this about the '92/'93 cluster may be
totally different from the identical looking 90 or 91
cluster.