small block oiling

Today there was a post about the oiling of small block ( 318 - 360 ) engines
and the use of hollow pushrods.  That post was not entirely correct.
Referencing the Mopar Performance engine manual, fig 17-2 - among similar
sources - the actual flow is as follows:

>From the pan into the pump inlet screen, thru the pump and to the filter.
>From there it goes to the crankshaft and  the right side main (
longitudinal ) oil gallery . The lifters on the right side are fed also from
this gallery.   The camshaft is fed via passages from the main bearing webs
and main bearings as well.From  the front of the right hand gallery it
divides again to the  left side gallery and left side lifter bores.  The rod
bearings are fed thru the rifle drilled holes in the crankshaft to each rod
journal. In summary the oiling in the bottom half of the engine is primarily
done thru the 2 longitudinal galleries and the passages between the
crankshaft and camshaft.

The top of the engine - rocker shafts, rocker arms and valve springs, are
fed from a passage that goes from the number 4 cam bearing along a drilled
passage to one of the rocker shaft bracket on each cylinder head.  The only
oil that goes thru the pushrod is bled off from the lifters as they operate.
The top end is not oiled primarily by the pushrods, but by the oil passage
from each side of the number 4 cam bearing.

This post was not done to belittle the person who posted earlier , but
simply to correct something that could be a potential source of
misunderstanding for someone else.   In reality, its just simple hydraulics
and anytime the supply cannot exceed the leak by rate, the pressure will
drop to an undesirably low point. The cause of this excessive leakage is the
main concern, or the possiblity  of an inadequate supply of oil on the
supply side, or a pump that is unable to deliver an adequate volume of oil
to the engine.

Not wanting to run this thread into the ground, just wanting to enlighten.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe
sutton ICQ#: 34908704 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me i See
more about me: