Heat soak & my starter motor

I replaced the starter in my 1973 with a chain parts-store "heavy duty"
unit.  -Lifetime warranty!

When the car is stopped after a prolonged run on the open road of 20
minutes or more, the car will refuse to start until the engine
compartment/block has cooled significantly, maybe 40 minute-worth.  This
does not happen in stop & go around town stuff, and the starter works
strongly and well otherwise.

When the symptom occurs, the relay on the solenoid can be heard to lightly
click, but no physical movement of any sort occurs in the starter.  No
audible click as heard when the battery is low, so I'm assuming that the
entire thing's expanded so far that it is just seized up.  Works great
upon cool-down immediately after.

I'm suspecting that the starter is not defective, but is being exposed to
too much heat from the non-stock exhaust pipe that runs within inches of
the starter.

Before I go and try to fiddle around with fabricating a sheet-metal heat
sheild or buying heat insulating wrapping for the pipe, is there something
that I'm not understanding here?

=====
Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

196o Imperial LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1960/Kenyon/Page01.htm
1973 Imperial LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1973/wills/