fuel filters not showing up as " full"

Quite often you wont see fuel filters  on carbureted engines as being "
full" of fuel as the engine is running.  I dont remember the exact reason
for this, but I do know its true.  This is especially prevalent with the
situation of the fuel filter being installed in a horizontal or near
horizontal manner.  Most likely since the space above the outlet is trapped
air when the filter is not in a vertical manner.  If you look at many photos
of cars built in the 60s, youll note many Mopar products had the filter
mounted just downstream of the fuel pump, somewhat behind the alternator, in
a vertical manner.

The point...dont presume not seeing a full filter is a fuel pump problem
indicator, unless of course the filter is completely empty.   It only takes
a few minutes to disconnect the filter and run the engine for the 30 seconds
or so needed to allow the pump output to go into a suitable container, then
you can see if the pump output flow is where it needs to be.

The general rule used to be if you could pump a quart of fuel in 30 seconds
at an idle, the fuel pump was working fine.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe