Suggestions on Disc Brake conversion?

--- bob siliani <bsiliani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking into a front disc brake conversion for my 66 Imperial that
> now has power Drum brakes......

Hi Bob,

this subject comes up here from time to time.  Please allow me to offer a
counter-point.

I had a 1963 that had stock brakes, and I found them to be as powerful as
any car I'd ever had.  I was able to snap people forward on their lap
belts with ease, and even locked up all four once when cut off abruptly at
35 mph.

The drums have only shown themselves to be poorer here in San Francisco
under repeated stops on near 45 degree hills, and that's not really being
fair to them, after all.  There is a hill on the way to Yosemite that is
called  "Old Prest's Grade".  That one got the better of both my 71
lincoln with discs and my Imp with drums.  They built a bypass road that's
about 1/3 the incline for just that reason.  The Imperial started to fade
a little earlier, but not by much.

Going to such lengths as figuring out a disc set-up/swap is a LOT of work
if someone else hasn't done the engineering on a conversion product, and
may not be 100% correct when done.  How certain will you be that
everything's as correct as possible (rhetorical question)?  Your stock
brakes have the complete support of the entire engineering dept at
Chrysler and years of installation/testing on similar or identical cars
from the factory in really large numbers.

Many convince themselves that the stock brakes are inadequate, and follow
the logic that discs would be an improvement.  This is good logic if
you've never had a "like-new" brake system on your car that's adjusted and
operating correctly.

I argue that your existing system's deteriorated condition may be the
source of inadequate "feel" due to worn parts (you didn't state an
explicit reason for your decision to go to discs).  If you refresh all
parts, including soft rubber hoses, pads, wheel cylinders, etc., and
adjust the new pads correctly I think that you'll be quite happy with your
car's original brake system design.

There was recently a post about folks that make drum pads with real
asbestos (as originally spec'd).  That seems like a good idea, but I've
not tried them.  It sure seems less expensive and more of a sure thing to
stick with stock

I am redoing my 1960 and could have done this change but stayed with
stock.  I did use a later dual-MC in place of the single pot unit that
came stock, but have full confidence in my car's brakes.  1966 was a
upgraded system in comparison to 1960, with the 1963's getting the
upgraded system, so you probably have a better base to begin with than I
do on the 196o.

Please consider this info.  Going stock might be worth exploring.  If the
stock brakes were a poor design, I'd think that more people would be prone
to have done this conversion, luring the aftermarket people to what would
be a potentially large market.  I think that the small market for 1966
Imperial disc conversions says something about what's already under your
wheelcovers.

The folks that can't find rotors for their later-model Budds are pretty
much up against a wall (neccessitiating conversions for some to make parts
attainable), but your 1966 parts should be quite available....

I wish you well whichever way your project winds up going, and (hopefully)
stopping.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area