'66 headlights and radio

Floor operated station changers go back into the 30's (my 1939 Packard
Limousine had this feature), but those were not true search tune radios -
they merely cycled through 6 preset stations, one each tap on the floor
button.

The true search tune feature extends at least back to 1951 in luxury cars,
although of course in those days they were AM only.   FM in a car came along
later than FM in home radios, except for some very special radios made
available at extra cost, because the circuitry was very delicate and
sensitive to environmental effects (temperature, humidity, voltage
variations, vibration etc.   AM technology is simple and robust, by
comparison.

A General Motors subsidiary (Delco) had the patents sewed up on the search
tune feature in the early days, in fact we (I worked at Philco at the time)
lost our contract with Packard for radios because the lawyers told us we
could not legally sell them the search tune radio we had developed.  Packard
switched to Delco as a radio supplier for the 1951 Search tune radio, and
for all subsequent business, after buying exclusively from Philco since the
very earliest factory supplied radios.   (This was heavy blow for Philco,
and led to the company being acquired by Ford a few years later.)

Later, in the 60s, Bendix acquired the right to build search tune radios, so
some cars have Bendix built radios and some have Delco, if they are search
tune.  I don't know when the patents expired on this technology (I left the
business in the late 50's).

Mopar didn't offer FM until sometime around 1957, as I recall, and it was a
very rare option even then.

The first search tune with FM was released in GM cars, of course, and only
let out to the competition after they had made the advertising splash with
it.

The first FM Stereo was similarly tied up in patents, although I'm not as
conversant with the facts in that matter.  I am aware of Stereo in Cadillac
and probably other GM cars in the early 60's - I think 64 for Cadillac (It
worked, but barely, with the damn relay clicking all the time!).   The delay
for other luxury brands was the same deal - GM gets first crack  at it
because they put up the money to develop it.   That's the American way,
folks!

Imperial never officially listed it in the brochures (that I have seen) for
1967, but it was available in late 67.   Ford was on the same schedule - I
at one time had a 1967 Mustang Stereo radio - I believe that was a first for
Ford.

The Stereo Multiplex receiver in the early days was quite a kludge - for
more details consult the IML web site and read the writeup on the system in
the 1968 pages.   The bottom line is: it needed 5 seperate electronic boxes,
scattered around the car including behind the rear seat, all connected with
massive cables.    The sound is superb, but the reception is typical early
stereo - unless you live within about 25 miles of the transmitter, you spend
all your time fiddling with the dial trying to keep it clearly tuned in. At
least they had  eliminated the clicking relay of the first units by 1967

All you young whippersnappers (I can say that because I start into my 70th
year next week!) have no idea what things were like for Jim Martin and I in
the early days, trying to court our girls in the car with one hand on the
damn tuning knob and the other on the steering wheel.  The only solution was
to park the car so you didn't need to fiddle with the controls, as I recall
explaining at the time.

The modern radios, with their digital quartz lock oscillators and phase
locked tuning are a revelation to those of us who struggled with this
technolgy 50 years ago.    They sure don't build them like they used to!

Dick Benjamin