RE: what year 440? RE: IML: AVS back in production

RE: what year 440? RE: IML: AVS back in production

The numbers on the engine indicate HP, built in May '72, and the other
info I don't quite recall as it has been several months since we checked
this information out, but as I recall it was for the '74 model year, but
I have been wrong before. :)  If it is a '72 engine, it is still quite
decompressed from earlier 440's putting out 340-360 hp.  I would guess
by '72 is was only 250-275 hp.  The engine does have a higher lift cam,
the car does have dual exhaust.  The cam is fairly mild, and to smooth
it out some my buddy has raised the idle just a bit so it feels more
Imperial like, although I do like the slight "Pattatah, pattatah" sound
at slow idle!.  At a slower idle, the car is a bit lopey.  If you are
good with deciphering engine #'s I can get the info again, and send it
to you, or whomever it should go to for decoding.

Thanks everyone for your input on this small issue of mine, I love this
list, before I knew about it, I was at the mercy of just a couple people
who had Imperial knowledge, parts access, etc...
I had mechanically restored my '60 Crown Conv from the brakes,
transmission ($2,500 cast iron rebuild cost), EVERYTHING, kept my heels
in the ground about keeping it forever.  My mechanic found a carrier
bearing for a hardtop, and (shudder) cut & welded it to my conv carrier
bearing.  When that finally gave out, I was told that IF a conv bearing
could be found, it would cost me 1200 - 1500 dollars.  I cried uncle,
traded it for the '66 conv, and a load of cash in my pocket (fins do add
value!)  About a week later I found this list, and that I could have had
a conv carrier bearing for around 300.00, presented this info to my
parts guy, who would have bought it at the same place (Lowell Howe?) and
was told "He must have lowered his prices".  Oh well, live & learn, and
get a computer and cruise the Internet.  I have learned so much here,
which is helpful when you don't work on your own car, but can go to
someone, tell them what you need, present the parts, and or direct them
to the source, part #'s needed, etc... Labor costs, well, can't do
anything much about that, but find a really good trustworthy mechanic,
and that I have. Again, thanks everyone!

Have a good day,

Bill Ulman
Seattle, WA
'66 Crown Conv - Midnight Blue metallic/white pearl interior, excellent
original condition car