Alan,
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can speak to lighting system.  I
had this on my 75 Imperials.

Sentinnel lighting would turn the headlights off after a selected delay.
This would allow the Imperial owner to walk away from his/her car at night
with the security of a lighted way.  Once the owner activated the system, set
the time delay, and turned on the headlights, all you would need to do is
drive up, shut the car off and leave.  You would not turn off the headlights
manually as the Imperial would do this for you.  In addition to this you
could also have the optional headlight dimmer.  Just as you would think, this
option would automatically dim your headlights when the sensor detected an
oncoming car.  You could adjust the dimmer to change your beams depending on
the distance of the oncoming car.  I remember when I had my first 75 Imperial
when I was in college.  That car had both systems.  I would drive around
residential neighborhoods and let the autodimmer change from high to low as I
passed street lights.  I thought it was great fun.  Then I would love to park
the car and watch and wait for the lights to go off.  (I know, I didn't have
much of a life back then, but I did have an IMPERIAL!!)

Happy motoring

Dale
68 Crown Coupe
60 New Yorkers (one with auto dimmer!)