I saw another Imp yesterday...

>From: Jim Gathmann <jim_gathmann@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: IML: I saw another Imp yesterday...
>Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:41:12 -0800 (PST)
>
>What really gives away that it was a '90 (or maybe a
>'91) is the fact that it stayed even with you. The 3.8
>is pretty nice and a stock 3.8 Imperial would beat a
>stock 3.3 Imperial.... too bad you didn't have a
>camera. Hell, I've never seen two 90's Imperial side
>by side, let alone two of the same year.
>
>Be even more interesting if your vins were in
>sequence. I'm surprised how often at the Mopar 'Nats,
>someone notices two cars have sequencal vins. Despite
>age, rareness, etc, it's still possible to find two
>rare Mopars side by side at a show with sequencial
>vins. I remeber one of the hot rod magaizines running
>a story on a few car's in some c1990 show which
>actually had this happen. Can't remeber what the model
>was, don't think it was an Imperial....
>
>But what would be cooler then if at the next major
>Imperial meet, someone noticed that two Imperials, say
>1968s or something, had sequencial vins? The
>statistics of what would be required for this to
>happen really shows how magic it is when it does
>occur.

Only 1990 Imperials and such didn't have that thumb tab for the fuel filler
door, I totally checked this car out while at the strip mall.  It had
digital dash also, which meant he had the electronics package with the
overhead console.  I knew it was a 1990.

Even if it would have been a newer version with the 3.8 I can't say for sure
how much a 3.3 would lose by, the torque is substantially higher 200ft lbs
compared to 183 ft lbs, horsepower is only up by 3 147 to 150 on the 3.8.
Torque is what gets you though.  Many races count on high amounts of torque
to be produced at low RPMs.  Also the gear ratios in the early 90s
transmissions are bigger so that could easily give the 3.3 the advantage as
well.  I am sure a 3.3 Imp would at least be able to tail a 3.8 Imp, but
probably not pass it.

I wish I would have thought of that vin thing I could have written it down
while he was inside the store and compared them latter.  I hope I see him
again some time I got many questions I like to ask him.

Who knows for sure there is also a midnight blue Imp that runs around in a
nearby town with veteran licence plates, it too is a 90.  I love that color
and this imp aside from one scatch looks showroom new, I hope I get some
more money because if I run into that car I am going to make him an offer
and see if he sells.  I would die to have this car.  It is that nice.