Jefferson Assembly Plant

> Hugh & Therese (hugtrees@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Is the Jefferson plant still in operation?

A little post-Imperial history of the original Chrysler plant, AKA: Jefferson
Avenue Assembly Plant.

'75- Last Imperial

'76-'78 New Yorker Brougham & Newports

'79-'80 A short run of Dodge Ramchargers and Plymouth Trailduster SUVs. So I
hear from those who were there at the time, this wasn't exactly a brilliant
move; as the plant had built unibody cars exclusively for many years and of
course, the Ramcharger & Trailduster were body-on-frame trucks. A lot of work
went into converting the plant for a short run. (see also, 1990)

'81 Dodge Aries & Plymouth Reliant. In effect, the plant that "started"
Chrysler saves it.

'82 Chrysler LeBaron & Dodge 400 join the mix.

'83-'89 Chrysler New Yorker, E-class & Dodge 600 (extened wheelbase K-cars) are
added to the mix, thus the plant again builds NYer's (technically).

'90 Dodge Omni & Plymouth Horizon are built here for a short six-month run.
Much like the RWD M-body, this is a platform that just refuses to die!
(1978-1990) Ironically, the 1990 cars got a re-designed dashboard, driver's
airbag & rear shoulderbelts. Packaged with the 2.5l ultra-reliable EFI engine,
these cars are a hell of a bargain, but sales finally fall off and they get
cancelled. Don't dismiss the Onmi unless you've owned one. (BTW my neighbor has
a super clean 44K, 1990 for sale soon)

> The actual plant that produced our Imperials and NYBs was demolished in the
>late 1980s (or early 1990s) to make way for the new Jefferson North, which has
>produced Jeep Grand Cherokees since 1992.

Construction began on Jefferson North Assembly Plant (JNAP in Chrysler-speak)
in late 1990, while the old Jefferson plant was demolished. The first Grand
Cherokees rolled out in '92.

But wait, there's more....

My sources tell me that much of the original tooling (conveyer chain/motors,
fixtures, etc.) from the old Jefferson plant was shipped to a Chrysler plant in
Mexico, the same plant that now builds the PT Cruiser.

Carmine F.

P.S. I can offer a picture of my own '77 NY'er in front of Chrysler's Highland
Park headquarters main gate before it was torn down. I also have unauthorized
pictures inside the original styling dome. If anyone from the IML would like to
post it, just send me an address.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup