Subject: IML: Putting out car fires

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 1:26 PM

> The advice about having an extinguisher in every car is fine but
> practically speaking few of us can/will do it.  However I've saved a
half
> dozen cars (none mine!) by the simple fact of having had a beach
blanket
> or large towel in the car.  Most fires are either fuel or electrical
> (duh!), electrical you're going to have to disconnect the battery or
pull
> the wires off ... come to think, I did save my Jag E from an
electrical
> that way when a new gauge shorted and burned the wiring all the way
> inside the harness (think about stoppping and popping the hood on an
> quickly!).  It's a good argument for another habit of mine - one
battery
> cable twisted just hand-tight.  I do it for convenience because old
cars
> so often have battery drains.

I also keep a small fire extinguisher in older cars, cause it's the best
thing for small fires. But the suggestion of keeping a battery terminal
cable very snug but being able to (pull) it off by hand is a good idea. I
always pull off one of the cables when car is sitting for an extended
period of time. I have never had a problem doing this, just remember to
keep it very tight so that it is not easy to pull off. I learned from
experience that if I smell something funny, the first thing I do is
disconnect battery.