1973 idler arm conversion problem - Franken-Imperial

1973 idler arm conversion problem - Franken-Imperial

Kenyon, a shorter pittman arm would also reduce the motion range of your
steering, so your hesitation is even more justified.

What type of material is the idler arm out of?  Is it cast steel or cast iron?
My guess is cast steel since iron is too brittle.  Iron is more tricky to weld,
but steel is not too bad.  Second, does it appear that the arm has any special
heat treatment?  You may be able to get indications of its heat treatment by
its hardness.  If it scrathes real easy with a sharp tool like a screw driver,
its probably just plain soft steel, so the weld heat will not reduce its
strength.  At any rate, I can't see why this part would be made out of any high
strength steel.  I don't think there is any significant loading in an idler
arm, and its probably alreasy way overdesigned as is.  So, my guess is that the
lengthening trick will work.  You can ask the welder to make a super beefy weld
that will never brake, but beware that a crack could form in proximity to the
weld.  To be in the safe side, after installation and initial checks, check the
arm periodically every 6 months or a year to check for cracks.  On the positive
side, most of the steering linkage loading will be at it hihgest during real
slow speeds when parking, which means that an unlikely catastrophic failure
will probably occur at a low risk driving condition.
D^2