touch a hot stove once...

I have had the opposite experience.  I have bought several cars completely sight unseen.  The (cash) money changed hands and everything before I ever saw the car.  In each case (four or six times now) the car was not only as described, but better.

This was from a combination of individuals and dealers.  I suppose that it all depends on the person or firm you are dealing with.

John