The Forward Look- more than just fins/Exner SAE Paper

The Forward Look- more than just fins/Exner SAE Paper

>From an ad for an [allegedly] "lesser" 1958 Chrysler
product:

Now's the time to compare design and find the important
differences...

You'll feel a difference in the way the car handles...

Upswept rear fins, built for work as well as looks, cut
steering corrections in sidewinds as much as 20%.

Now I wonder, since the Imperial fins were bigger and taller
[and less attractive (did I say that...)] than the "lesser"
models, whether they were even MORE stable.  Of course this
was advertising hype, long on praise and short on facts.

--Roger van Hoy, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '42 DeSoto, '66
Plymouth, '81 Imperial, Washougal, WA