The Forward Look- more than just fins/Exner SAE Paper

The Forward Look- more than just fins/Exner SAE Paper

Once again, a few of our fellows got their information all incorrect. First
of all the Superbird and Daytona were definitely not the first time that
Chrysler used aerodynamics, not by far. That credit goes to the Airflow. As I
explained before, the fins on the Forward-Look cars were not just appendages
affixed to the cars to make them pretty. There were a product of wind-tunnel
testing by designers, and no Chrysler did not use wind tunnels "just for race
cars". The fact is that under normal driving condition the tailfins are
negligible as far as the performance of the vehicle. The people at Studebaker
simply tacked-on fins to a four year old body design to bring it up to date.
When you say that fins were just something to make the cars look pretty, you
are putting our beloved Imperials in the same class as the Studebakers. To me
that's an insult to Exner's design genius and to Mopar products in general.
Thank you

         Doug
        58 Crown coupe ( finned to perfection)