plastic and rust

Yes, that's true, I forgot about that.  But with metal there's a lot
more there to begin with, at least.  When I made that comment I was
thinking of some of the exterior trim pieces on my "new" car (a '96)
that had faded and become so brittle you could break them easily.  It
takes a little longer for metal to get that way.

I think some manufacturers do use plastic coatings now-- I seem to
remember reading about a plastic coating being applied to the
underbodies of some cars as far back as '74 or so.  But I don't know if
even that stops everything.

I think what I'd really like is some sort of way to "shrinkwrap" or seal
your old Imperial with something that will preserve it for years to come
. . . without just trapping corrosion in.

Mark M