The Forward Look- more than just fins, and some added thoughts...

The Forward Look- more than just fins, and some added thoughts...

Hi Doug... I agree that part of the "bad" rep of the Exner-era cars simply
was a result of the deplorable Chrysler Corp. build quality that became a
significant factor in 1957, and, of course, the design people cannot be
responsible. There was no inner fender lining above the headlight sheet
metal, for example, and here in the Rust Belt, they showed the rust bug
very, very early.

As another person has pointed out, though, GM (and Ford) did go with fins
that were anything but vertical ('59 Chevy, '60 Ford, for example). And,
maybe this style of fin was more aerodynamically correct at 3 digit speeds
(witness Johnny Beauchamp's Daytona 500 victory in a '59 Chevy; at least it
did not seem to hurt).

I've got to believe, though, that there was no practical difference between,
say, a '59 Cadillac fin (the epitomy of fin verticality)
and, say, that of a '57 Plymouth, which showed significant cant. This would
be in terms of stability, crosswind penetration, etc, at speeds not
exceeding 70 or so; in other words, the speeds where the public typically
would be operating their vehicles. In either case, the center of pressure
moves further behind the center of gravity, which is a Good Thing, as Martha
S. would say. The driving public would not know the difference between fin
layouts, I think.

Living here in the Detroit area, I got to know the late Dave Holls, who is
correctly credited (blamed?) for the '59 Cad fins. And, agreeing with you, I
am almost certain it was not blessed by any wind tunnel testing.

But it probably did not matter.

Fin, vs. no fin at all, at "high" speeds? That's a different story.  Tom
McCahill, writing in Mechanix Illustrated, claimed that he could tell the
difference between the '60 Plymouth finned (almost vertical, by the way, so
Virg wasn't consistent) model, and a '61, which had the fins plucked. (That
'60 Plymouth is one ugly devil, isn't it, and that is a perfect reason to
own one...).

But "Unc" always was given to exaggeration...

Currell ('53 Imperial, and not a fin to be seen...)