plastic and rust

Quoting Alan Harper <alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I remember, in the 60's and 70's, looking at cars which were approaching
> 10
> years old, and I remember that almost all of them were rust-buckets.  It
>
> Anyway, it seems that cars today resist rust more than older cars.
> That's
> my impression.

Alan, I have not done any statistics or anything, but I think that the area you
live is a much bigger factor than the car and its rust proofing.  Where did you
live in the 60's and 70's, and where do you live now?

I visited Chicago and Detroit a few times, and I was shocked at the rust I saw
in some relatively new cars.  Even thick chrome bumpers had holes right trough
them.  Here in TX even 30 year old cars have little rust.  Unfortunately, my 68
Sedan started life in New Hampshire, so some of its 1/4 panel rust is probably
coming from the east coast.  Finally, I would think that the thicker sheet
metal of older cars would resist corrosion better.  And Imperials along with
other expensive cars had generally better rust proofing than the typical car.
D^2