IML : Autolite : Was Why G.M Parts are unnecessary.

IML : Autolite : Was Why G.M Parts are unnecessary.

Sorry, but the Dana Corporation is not now, and never has been, owned by
Chrysler.

The firm began in 1903 with one Clarence Spicer, who designed the
cross-style u-joint.  His designs became the standard for auto manufacturers
and the Spicer Corporation grew along with the acceptance of the Spicer
u-joint.

In 1914 Spicer Corporation was in financial trouble, trying to expand
capacity to meet demand but not having the financial foundation to proceed.
Along came one Charles Dana, who liked what he saw and had the cash to
invest to expand the firm.

Mr. Spicer died in 1939, and Mr. Dana continued to run the firm into the
1950's.  In response to Mr.Dana's efforts, the Spicer Corporation became the
Dana Corporation in 1945.  Over the years the firm took over such firms as
Perfect Circle (manufacturers of Chrysler's Auto Pilot), Victor Gaskets,
Auburn Clutch, and Rzeppa (constant velocity joints).

Dana was like any other parts supplier.  They would work with their clients
to produce the needed products, even if they had to get their hands dirty in
the design process.   Chrysler's Sure-Grip was actually a Dana design -
Powr-Lok.   Dana also made the unit (Twin-Traction) for Packard and
Studebaker.

For more details visit :

http://www.dana.com   and   http://www.spicerdriveshaft.com

Bill