Door check device advice?

Dick Benjamin wrote:
>Make sure [...] the click-open check
>device in the driver's door hinge is operating - they go away sometime
>around 100,000 miles on most of them (although Lowell Howe sells a
>replacement hinge or a kit to fix yours).

Yep, that recently happened on my driver door (and at only
65K miles).  Thanks for the tip -- I'll soon be contacting
Lowell!  But would you say it's better to replace the hinge
or repair the existing one?  This is one of those things
that I'd rather have done properly than cheaply, if I have
to choose.

>These cars have very heavy doors, it is not fun to
>be whacked by one because the check device has failed (been there, done
>that!).

You and me both, pardner!  Want to compare leg scars? :-\

Tim Klein
'67 Crown 4DHT
Rye, New York