Myths..auto that is.

5. Bondo to fix rust holes.

6. Primer is good enough to last until you "get around to painting it"

There is a bondo like material that you can use to repair rust holes.  It's called Dynaglass and it's strands of fiberglass imbedded in an epoxy paste.  It's not as smooth as bondo so I wouldn't use to level low spots on paint.  It'll fill small holes with no problem.  In fact, I fixed some small pinhole rust spots on my floorpan with it.  It's been on there a year and is working fine.  However, you have to clean up what is behind the area to be filled as moisture will get behind there and rust the metal out from behind.

As far as primers go, primer is like saying you own a Mopar.  Limits the selction some but not enough to be specific.   The primer that comes in Krylon cans is garbage and shouldn't be used for anything more than covering bare metal for a couple of weeks at the most.  Self-Etching Primer is going to kill microscopic rust but is not going to protect the metal for any length of time.  Epoxy primer will seal the metal and provide a rust-proof barrier for more than a year.  My Fury's painted in Epoxy Primer and has been for over a year so.  I drive the car in the rain too, and there's no rust poking through the primer.  However, there are a couple spots where it's rusting from behind the panel that are poking through.  Epoxy Primer is porous, as far as your top coat is concerned.  You want to put a sealer over pure epoxy primer.  There's also epoxy primer sealers that cut down time.  The sealer keeps the color coat from bleeding into the primer and giving you an uneven paint job.

Ray Funke
69 Fury 3 ragtop