Not Firing

The capacitor (normally called condenser) is I believe necessary, and if its
bad, the points might/will burn out real fast.

Also, check to make sure the coil gets the 12 volts it needs.  If it does not,
the circuit is open somewhere between the switch and the ignition system.
Check if the ballast resistor has any voltage to it.  If the ignition circuit
is indeed open, you can still drive the car home by powering the ignition by a
wire directly from the battery. What I used to do a few months back when I had
similar electrical problems is I installed a wire from the battery or the
starter relay to the ballast resistor upper terminal (on the 68's its on the
left fender, close to the firewall).  That got me home.
D^2