: IML: Checking vacuum operated valves (Was: Auto-Temp help needed)

: IML: Checking vacuum operated valves (Was: Auto-Temp help needed)

Dick Benjamin:
Your helpful information a few days was appreciated.  My friend & I have his '68 Auto-Temp working much better now.  Still slight problem, but better by far than when we started.

We have had problems with bad compressor, wrong compressor, bad pushbutton module, bad control box, questionable replacement control box, stopped up reservoirs, and of course bad hoses and hoses put on wrong ports by who-knows-whom.

The check valves were (and still are) all bad in that they have no check function, i.e., they pass air in any direction through all ports.

The fix for this (which seems to be ok), was to buy ordinary 2-port (in and out) check valves, available under the "help" label in most parts stores.  We put a new 2-port valve ahead of the "source" port of each original valve.  The original valves still act as 3 or 4 way connectors.

Again thanks for helping us move this troubleshooting project along.

Dennis Martin in warm W. Tenn.