a silly question

Correct me if I am not reading this correctly ..

When you try to lock the front doors, the driver's door cannot be locked by
pushing the inside door handle forward and then closing the door.  However,
the passenger side front door can be locked by pushing the front door handle
forward and closing the door.

If this is correct, then your driver's door is working properly and the
passenger side door is not, at least for cars without power door locks.

Up until 1970, Chrysler Corporation cars could not be locked from the
outside by engaging the lock and then closing the door.  The lock had to be
engaged from the inside when the front door was closed or from the outside
with the key when the front door was closed.    Rear doors could be locked
by pressing the button or flicking the lever and closing the door.

This was a little idea of Chrysler's to help its customers not lock the keys
in the car.   Thus, to lock the driver's door from the outiside you needed
the key in your hand and not in the ignition switch.

This little system also held true for Studebakers (at least in the 1960's).

 Bill
Vancouver, BC

> On my '59 , you push forward to lock, and back to open, my problem is
still locking the car from the outside! Only the passenger side does, so if
I want the car locked I have to take that tremendous trip across the front
seat, and get out of the passenger side. I usually just leave it open, I
doubt if anyone could figure out how to drive it if they did steal it! They
probably would give up anyway just trying to get it started, which can take
quite a few tries when it has been sitting a few days.