adjusting your 1960 (and almost every other year) power steering

adjusting your 1960 (and almost every other year) power steering

This is one of the most often mis-adjusted items on
unmolested 1960's that I have seen.  The steering is floppy
and much more imprecise than the vague feeling that it has
when adjusted properly.

There is a locking nut and an adjusting bolt (flate spade
grabbed with a crescent wrench or allen on later cars like
my '73).  Tightening this adjusting bolt pulls the axle
that the pittman arm is connected to up into the steering
box.  It is easy to do and easy to over tighten.  Check
your service manual or the archives, as I have written
about this several times prior in great detail.

This is an easy and very satisfying adjustment.

Do you need to adjust?

Wheel should feel rubbery and springy when rocked when the
car's off, with little to no free play before beginning to
load up as you twist it.  The power steering pump will mask
the last 5% of slop once the engine's on, and you'll never
get rid of 100% of the free play when the engine's off
without potentially damaging by overtightening anyway, so
don't try to be too precise.

If you have opposable thumbs and a service manual you are
qualified to perform this adjustment.

Swivel seats:

Those swivles are golden, and I agree with Henry about
that.  People love 'em, and you'll get lots of pleasure
from demonstrating them.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious