Hot Rodded 81-83s?

At 07:25 PM 6/7/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>If that is true what do the earlier even larger Imperials weigh?
>Rob

Rob, I think Imperials from the late 50's to the late 60's all weighed
about the same.  I weighed my 68 sedan once with super accurate scales, and
it was 5480 lbs.  Of course, I had plenty of junk in the trunk, but not a
full tank of gas.Empty weight is about 5200-5300.  Earlier Imperials were a
bit wider though (more frontal area).

Getting more power out of these crate engines is feasible, I do not doubt
that.  I am sure you can beat the stock 135 hp rating easily.  What I say
is that the claims of actual numbers of the crates  may be a bit
optimistic.  How optimistic?  I guess that's hard to tell, and I am sure it
varies from case to case.  You can get a lot of power out of a given engine
by raising its operating power range.  That may not always be the best choice.

>The Magnum motor has the modern heads etc. and is more efficient than the
>old designs.

Well, I am sure they can improve upon the stock head design.  One of the
advantages of driving Chrysler engines though is that they were usually
designed quite well from the factory.  Very often, when a large power
benefit is gained by aftermarket tricks, it is because compromises were
made that might have been unacceptable for a daily driven car or if a 50K
mile warranty was to be given.

Keep on enjoying your hotrod!
D^2