Re:to paint or not to paint

Thanx everybody for your suggestions.

The big dent in my driver door is the worst thing about the car and the most
embarassing when it comes time to drive it.  There is no rust in the trunk
or floorboards.  The bottoms of the front fenders have rusted out but you
really have to be looking for it to find it.  I also believe there is rust
behind the chrome piecese behind the rear tires but obviously you can't see
that without getting under the car!  I have eight replacment doors for it
(along with two trunks and two hoods) but they are the wrong color so that
wouldn't help me much at this point.

I have had a most generous offer of help on the body work that I am going to
try to find a way to take advantage of.  I really don't want to try to paint
it myself as I am just not very good at that kind of stuff.  A stick person
is really pressing the limits of my artistic ability....  I also just don't
have the space.  I have five cars now in a two car garage. (I only own 3.
One is my work van and the other is my sisters)

I wasn't really considering the econobake $150 paint job.  I was thinking
more along the lines of a $1500 economy job from a local independant shop.
I really would hate to wait another five years to get her looking decent.
It seems I have lived my life to this point thinking that I would do what I
really wanted to do "once i got that perfect job" or "once i met the perfect
person" and here I am at 35 with nothing to show for it but a very lonely
life and a dented Imperial.  I'm working on the lonely part and I think I am
going to try my best to get a decent looking car now and worry about the
showpiece if and when I can afford to.

Thanx to everyone for your input and support on doing much of the work
myself!  I never would have considered even trying to prep the car without
all the people here telling me I could do it.

                         Steve B.