68 TX Hemisfair Plates & More

Texas Licence Plate Cache.

(The person who asked about the '68 plates get first chance at them - see
below.)

Just recently, someone was asking about Texas 1968 Hemisfair plates.  Turns
out all 1968 plates are Hemisfair plates.  I won't snore y'all with what a
big deal the event was to San Antonio, but I moved here in 1991 and they are
still talking about it!  Sigh! Parochial towns, what can you do?

Anyhoo, moving on, I was inspired to scope through our stack of plates at
the museum.  We have plates dating back to 1932!  And up to 1977.  Most of
them are singles, unfortunately, but as I have been running the 58 with just
one plate for a long time - I have a very cool "IMPERIAL" plate on the
front - this may not be a huge issue.  From the last time I read the
applicable legal code, again 1991, I seem to recall that only one plate is
strictly required.  I could be wrong.

Here are the sets I came up with:

1959 - 2 sets
1961
1962 - 2 sets
1965
1968
1974

All are in immediate use condition.  All should pass the required Texas
Dept. of Transportation inspection needed when you apply to get the current
plates on your cars switched over to these ones.  The actual process is
slow.  They have had my application, and cashed my cheque, too, for over a
month now.  I understand that a six week turn around is 'normal.'

I really want the first guy who mentioned the 1968 plates to get first crack
at these.  I kind of screwed up with those 1957 keys, and ticked a few folks
off, but I could not recall who started that thread, or, more precisely, who
said they were a key collector.  You might be amazed how hard done by folks
get to feeling about this stuff.  Gosh, all I was doing was getting rid of
something I literally picked out of a trash can when the museum's key
cupboard was being reorganized.  So it goes.  So it goes.

These plates are not mine to sell.  They do belong to the museum.  I am
hoping to get at least $15.00 dollars per set.  If you are interested e-mail
me at

hugtrres@xxxxxxxx

I will mail you the plates, and you can then decide how much you think they
are worth.  I then hope you will send a "donation" to the museum, which
should cover P&P as well.  I will not ever contact you if you do not pay for
the plates.  I expect that you, as a Texan, will not need such an
ignominious, dishonourable, reminder.

If anyone is interested in a single plate from any given year, - I do not
have a list, I'm sorry - please contact me on the same basis as above.  I
will let you know if we have one.

After a while, I may make this same offer to my local club members, but am
biased in favour of getting them onto Imperials.

Thank you.
Hugh