58 with 413/ Restarting after long lack of use; flushing the cooling sys

58 with 413/ Restarting after long lack of use; flushing the cooling system

I agree whole heartedly wtih Hugh on the importance of
rinsing out your cooling system well. But I will add a
cautionary tale of my own misfortune:

I owned a 56 Buick that had sat idle for a long time
before I bought it from a body shop where it's
previous owner had abandoned it. They started the car
and got it idling dependably before I came to pick it
up, so God only knows the list of smart things they
DIDN'T do to the car before starting it. Anyways, when
I did pick it up, it ran well enough, but got very hot
very quickly as I was driving home. I didn't have much
experience with cars at the time, but I figured that
flushing the cooling system would be a good idea. I
don't remember exactly where I put the garden hose
into the cooling system, but it was doing a great job
of flushing things, as evidenced by all the crud that
was being washed out of the engine... until my heater
core couldn't hold the pressure and blew out letting
dirty water run into the passenger compartment.

Point is: flush your engine and cooling system all you
want, and as Hugh said, "blast" water and cleaner
through the block as often as you want. BUT, be
careful if you don't disconnect your heating system
not to use too much pressure... Because it would be a
crying shame to do this to an Imperial.(mandatory
content)