58 on its way to NZ

Keith, did you get this car from e-bay?  If so, may of us have "seen" this
car and it looks great.  One of the most respected members of the list, Dick
Benjamin,  inspected it last year and has an exhaustive report on it with
many, many pictures.  He may still have it and be able to send it to you.

Anyway, my point is, don't go planning on wonderful mileage.  It isn't going
to happen  The original set up, if well maintained, is really about as good
as it will get.  That is what I have, and Mr. Braatz, too, if I am not
mistaken, and we both seem to be enjoying MPG performance in excess of what
was found in tests back in 1958.  But, if you have a well running, reliable,
rust free, car you really should be thinking of keeping it as stock as
possible, in my humble opinion.  The 57 year was the zenith of Imperial
popularity and is probably the most collectible of the make's post war
history.  Not the most numerous, anymore, so a stock model is all the more
valuable.

Of course, it's your car now, so enjoy it as you see fit.  The only part I
have truly struggled to find is a carburetor.  I actually have two now, so
you could say I have cornered the market.  I am still using the original one
which has a microscopic crack at the base at the joint of one of the "legs."
This invisible fissure, found at a carb rebuild shop, caused me no end of
upset and torment only to find that it was a complete waste of effort and
energy as it has had zero effect on the carb's performance, and has probably
been there since the thing was made or the last time it was removed, which
must be over twenty years ago.  There is an acceptable carb. replacement,
but I have still to find out if it will allow continued use of the rather
wonderful air cleaner.  Filters for the air cleaner are not too difficult to
obtain.

Anyway, the car was built to be enjoyed.  That is what really sets the
Imperial apart.  No car its size handles anywhere close as wonderfully.  If
your new car is indeed the one I think it is, you truly have a thing of beau
ty and a joy for ever.

Hugh