'73 U-Joints

Greetings to all,

i have a question about the driveshaft on my '73.  currently, i have 2
u-joints on either end of my driveshaft.  they are a special type, with a
ball and socket connecting each pair, with a housing around both sets.  the
front set has been replaced at some point, with a greasable unit, and gives
me no problems at all.  the aft set appears to be original equipment, and
has begun to squeak during deceleration.  there is no play, and i have
greased the offending unit with a hypodermic syringe and some high temp
lube, until i can get it changed.  when i went to the parts store for a set
of u-joints, they gave me a set of plain cross u-joints with no ball and
socket.  car quest and pep boys are trying to sell me the same parts-no cv
joints, just plain u-joints.  i can press them in, no problem, but it
doesn't seem correct.
my question is:  will heavy duty, plain u-joints suffice for this
application?
my instincts as a helicopter mechanic tell me to ask before i try it.
thanks in advance
dj
2 yellow(tan?)'73's