Supra Rotors, or 70s C Body spindles and rotors

Supra Rotors, or 70s C Body spindles and rotors

Hi Folks,

The 68 Imperial has an 8 3/4 rear axle assembly, these axles use a
pressed on tapered bearing and an external retaining plate to keep
the axle in the housing.  The 74 Newport will most likely have a 9
1/4 or maybe even an 8 1/4 axle assembly, these axles use a C clip
on the differential end of the axle to hold it place and ride on a
straight roller bearing that is pressed into the end of the axle
housing not on the axle itself.  These are the problems if you go
this route.  The easy solution is to get an axle from a 67-73
Newport, New Yorker or 300 also any of the Dodge or Plymouth full
size (C body) cars in this time frame will have this same axle
and they will have the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern that the 74 Newport
does.

As far as aftermarket wheels go the 5 on 5 inch pattern is not
uncommon out in the rest of the car world.  It is only uncommon
when you are referring  to Chrysler products and then only the
rear wheel drive cars.  The Dodge trucks went to a 5 on 5 pattern
in the early 80's and then to 5 on 5 1/2 in the early 90's.

Bob