Light up

 Hi Dick,
    I think the reason for the diode was to prevent backfeeding to the
rest of the electrical system, but I could be wrong. A diode is only a
one way valve so if you add any circuts like for alarms , remote starts
etc you can add a diode to allow the power to go only 1 way. Of course
this only works on DC current. If you use 1 diode on AC current it will
just cut the voltage in half.
  Allan R.
 62 Imp conv  as good as Johns,  I wish it were even close