Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 Imperial Sighting/Is this why they are called Imperials?

A year or so ago, I saw a 60 like mine here in town. go by. It looked so much like mine that I checked to be sure it was still in the gararge.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 5:33 AM

That thrill manifested itself in my lack of ability to notice if it was
a Custom or a Crown. I was quite displeased with myself when I realized
it was too far down road for me to ever find out. I hope to see it
again.

The sight of these cars on the road has always inspired the "thrill"
you mention. There never were many '60 Imperials in the first place, so
seeing another one was always a treat, particularly one that was
gleeming! Growing up in Southern California I always was on the look
out for any year of Imperial. I suspect that I inherited that from my
father. I barely remember looking at brand new 1955's in the show room.
He must have been very impressed, since from then on even I (at three
years old!) was looking for them on the road. At the time we had a 1946
Oldsmobile, and our family was not in a position to maintain a new
Imperial. My parents were in process of buying their first new home,
and very much needed a new car. When they finally settled on one, it
was a black 1958 V.W. Karman Ghia. These were special ordered, and the
car was great. The reasoning that convinced my mother about the
extravagent Karman Ghia over a regular bug, was that in spite of its
good looks, it had the economy of a V.W. That was a win/win for my
parents. Dad got his fancy new car and mom got her economic
maintenance.

Even so, dad still pointed out every Imperial on the road, and usually
I was already looking at them when he did. We had a game that he would
pay me a quarter for everyone that I guessed the correct model year. We
weren't good enough to know the differences between Customs, Crowns,
and LeBarons on the road, until 1960 when they finally bought their new
Imperial. Dad fell in love with the 1961 Lincoln Continental, so my
interest broadened at that point, and I may still own one of those cars
yet someday.

In the meantime, I very much enjoy my fleet of Imperials, and
remembering the early years when our very young family was looking for
their first new car.

Paul W.